Back to Help index
- How do I contact members?
- How do I search for other members?
- How do I get email from other members?
- What if it says my password is incorrect?
- I'm not getting my password or other emails from ALT.com!
How do I contact members?
- Log into ALT.com.
- Enter your username and password.
- Click the "Login" button.
- Locate the profile you wish to contact.
- Once on the member’s profile page, scroll down to the middle of the page to find the email form "Send user an email" or click the "Send an email" link located in the "Interact" section.
- Enter a subject and message.
- Click on the checkboxes for "if you want to save a copy of a message", "attach a copy of your profile", "get emailed when your message is read", or "invite the member to your network" features. (Optional)
- Fill in the Confirm Number.
- Click the "Click to send the above message" button.
How do I search for other members?
How do I get email from other members?
When you get mail, it will appear in your free Message Center. To open your Message Center:
What if it says my password is incorrect?
There could be several reasons why your password and username are not matching up. Try using your browser's "back" button to return to the log in screen. Clear the fields and enter your information again. If this still does not work, we suggest that you use the automated password/username lookup form. Other causes could include:
I'm not getting my password or other emails from ALT.com!
Most email providers now routinely employ anti-spam software. Unfortunately, because of the number of emails ALT.com sends out, your email provider might be classifying some ALT.com messages as spam. To make sure that you receive email from other ALT.com members, as well as announcements and updates, please select your email provider from the list below and follow the instructions provided.
A note on receiving ALT.com email:
Occasionally, you might receive a large amount of email from ALT.com in one day. Even if you don't want to read all the emails at once, please do not report any email from ALT.com as junk or spam. If you do that, it's likely that all your future ALT.com emails will be labeled as spam, and you won't receive them.
Choose your email provider:
1. Do not click the "Junk" button when you are viewing any ALT.com email. Marking one ALT.com email as junk will cause all other emails from ALT.com to be automatically delivered to your Junk Email folder and deleted.
2. Check your Junk Email folder. If you find an email from ALT.com in your Junk Email folder, open the email and click the "Not Junk" button.
3. Complete the following steps to ensure that you receive all future ALT.com emails:
a) Choose "Options" at the upper right of your inbox screen.
b) Choose the first mail option, "Junk E-Mail Protection."
c) Choose the link, "Safe List."
d) Type "alt.com" in the address box.
e) Click the "Add" button.
f ) Click "OK" when the address you entered is in the Safe List box.
1. Do not click the "Spam" button when you are viewing any ALT.com email. Marking one ALT.com email as spam may prevent you from getting any future ALT.com emails.If you click the "Spam" button by mistake, find the ALT.com email in your Spam Folder and click the "Not Spam" button at the top of the Spam Folder."
2. Add ALT.com email addresses to your Address Book by completing the following steps:
a) From your Inbox, select "Add" from the "Addresses" drop-down menu.
Or, click the "Add Contact" button.
b) Enter any of the ALT.com email addresses from email you've received into the "Email" field. Some common ALT.com email addresses are:
America Online (AOL)
1. Do not click the "Report Spam" button when you are viewing any ALT.com email. Reporting one ALT.com email as spam may prevent you from getting any future ALT.com emails.
2. If you have clicked the "Report Spam" button by mistake, find the ALT.com email in your Spam Folder and click the "This is Not Spam" button at the top of the Spam Folder.
3. To ensure that you receive all future ALT.com emails, add ALT.com email addresses to your AOL Email Address Book by completing the following steps:
a) In your AOL Mailbox, click "Addresses" at the top of the page.
b) Click "New" and select "New Contact" from the drop-down menu.
c) Enter the ALT.com email addresses into the Email 1 and Email 2 fields as shown below.
d) Click the "Save" button at the bottom of the page.
4. You can also set up your Spam filter using the following steps:
a) Click "Settings" at the upper right corner of the page.
b) Choose "Spam Controls" from the list, then click the "Control From Whom I Get Email" button.
c) You can select "Allow mail only from people I know," since you've added ALT.com to your address book.
Note: If you choose "Allow mail only from senders on my Custom Senders List," be sure to click on the Custom Senders List link and add the ALT.com email addresses you entered into your Address Book However, if you choose the "Block mail from all senders on my Custom Senders List," make sure NO ALT.com email addresses are on the list. If you choose the "Allow mail only from AOL and AIM members" or the "Block mail from all senders" options, you will NOT receive your ALT.com email.
d) Click the "Save" button at the bottom of the page.
1. In the "Quick Contacts" section on the left side, click "Add Contact." In the resulting text box, type each of the following email addresses and click the "Save" button after each entry.
Microsoft Network (MSN)
1. Choose the "Junk E-mail" link at the bottom left of your inbox.
2. Select the third Guard Settings link: "Safe List."
3. Enter the following email addresses in the "Email" field of the pop-up window:
1. From the Tools menu, select "Options."
2. At the "Preferences" tab, under E-mail, click "Junk E-mail."
3. Click the "Safe Senders" or "Safe Recipients" tab.
4. Click "Add."
5. Type the following email addresses in the address box:
Other ISPs and/or e-mail programs (e.g.Thunderbird)
1. Add the following addresses to any address books or safe lists for your email service provider: